The Civil Services Examination is popularly known as CSE, it is one of the most competitive and prestigious examinations that are conducted in India. The exam is organized and administered by Union Public Service Commission is known as UPSC. This exam acts as a gateway for all the aspirants who want recruitment into numerous civil services that are being offered by the Government of India. This exam is held to invite application for various government services like Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS), and Indian Foreign Service (IFS) etc. The exam is held every year where a large number of students appear hoping for their posting with the government. Following are more details about UPSC Civil service exam:
Format of UPSC Exam
The exam is held every year where students need to appear in different levels as given below.
- Level- 1: The first level comprises of Preliminary examination where students are asked the questions from subjects like General Aptitude and General Awareness. The exam is held mostly in the month of June-July
- Level – 2: The second level comprises of the Main examination where all the students who have cleared preliminary are only allowed to appear. Students are asked the question from subjects like English, General Studies etc. The exam is held in the month of October every year.
- Level – 3: The third and final level comprises of Personality test or Interview. This is held in the month of May. All those who clear the personality test are selected for the training program which begins in the month of September every year.
UPSC Civil Service Exam important dates
Following are the important dates regarding UPSC civil services exam 2018. Candidates should keep in mind that these are only tentative dates students are required to visit the official website for updates.
|Sr. No.||Details of the events under civil services exam||Date Assigned|
|1||Publication of official notification||7th February 2018|
|2||The last date to submit application forms||6th March 2018|
|3||Date of issuing of admit card||May 2018|
|4||Date of written Examination (IAS 2018 Exam)||3rd June 2018||1st October 2018|
|5||Date of results Declaration||August/September 2018||January/February 2019|
Eligibility Criteria for UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018:
Only those aspirants will be allowed to appear in the exam that fulfills the eligibility conditions. Following are the details regarding the eligibility criteria for UPSC Civil Service Exam-
- The entire aspirants who wish to apply for Indian Administrative Services and Indian Police Service then must belong to Indian origin only then they will be eligible.
- Whereas for the rest of services aspirants may be an Indian Citizen, or they can be from Nepal/ subject to Bhutan and other migrants with the main intentions to settle permanently in our country
All the aspirants will fall under eligibility even if they have any one of these educational qualifications;
- A candidate must hold any degree from Central, State or deemed university.
- A candidate must hold any degree from a recognized correspondence or distance education
- A candidate must pose some qualification that is recognized by Government and is equivalent to those mentioned above.
The entire candidates that belong to general category must fall within the age limit of 21 years to 32 years. Whereas for the reserved category candidates this age criterion differs this is given below;
- The age criteria for OBC category students is 32 years
- Whereas for SC candidates and ST candidates the age criteria are 37 years.
Details of attempts:
All the candidates can appear in the exam for some limited attempts only following are the details regarding attempts-
- For the candidates belonging to General category – 6 attempts
- Whereas for candidates belonging to OBC category -9 attempts
- And for those belonging to SC/ST category is unlimited up to 37 years.
All the candidates who appear in the first level of civil services exam like preliminary exam are counted as an attempt for all the students. Whereas if a candidate applies for the exam but somehow fails to appear in the paper then it will not be counted as an attempt.
Procedure to fill IAS Exam application form 2018:
Following are the details regarding the application form for civil services exam-
- Students can fill the application form only when it gets released the board conducting the exam i.e. UPSC.
- Students can avail the application form only from the official website of the Board i.e. upsc.gov.in as it will not be available through offline mode.
- Candidates are first required to register themselves on the official website, after being registered candidates are allotted with unique registration id and password.
- After the above steps candidates are required to fill in the application form by providing all the necessary details asked in the form.
- Candidates are also required to upload their recent passport size photograph and signature along with the application form.
- After the above steps candidates are required to pay the application fees.
- The application fees for the candidates belonging to General and OBC category is only Rs. 100 whereas this application fee becomes exempted for rest of the reserved category candidates( SC/ST/females)
- Candidates can pay their application fees through online mode of payment via debit cards, credit cards, or through net banking.
UPSC IAS Exam Pattern 2018:
- As mentioned above the civil services exam has been divided into three levels and a candidate needs to clear all these three level to be selected. Following are the details regarding the exam pattern that all students should be aware of which is asked in the paper-
- The three stages of examination include- Preliminary Exam, Mains Exams and Personal Interview.
- The first level of exam i.e. preliminary exam will comprise of two papers which student need to give in the same day in two shits i.e. morning and evening
- Whereas the second level of the Main Exam will be consisting of 9 different papers whose details are prescribed below-
- Once the student qualifies the mains exam he/she will be eligible for the personal interview.
Details of the Civil Services Prelim Exam:
|S.No.||Papers||Details of the question papers||Total Marks||Total Time|
|1.||Paper – I
|General Studies – This paper will be counted for qualifying to write the Civil Services Mains exam.||200 Marks||Two Hours|
|2.||Paper- II (CSAT)||Aptitude test (CSAT) – This paper is of qualifying nature, but candidate must score at least 33% marks in this paper. However, marks of this paper are not counted for writing the Mains examination.||200 Marks||Two Hours|
|Total||400 Marks||4 Hours|
Details of the UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam
|S.No.||Papers||Details of the question paper||Total marks|
|1.||Paper – A||Language
Candidate can take any Modern Indian language but this paper is of qualifying nature
|2.||Paper – B||English –
This paper is of qualifying nature
|3.||Paper – I||Essay
Can be written in the medium or language of the candidate’s choice
(Indian Heritage and Culture,
History, and Geography of the World and Society)
|5.||Paper-III||General Studies -II:
(Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)
|6.||Paper-IV||General Studies -III
(Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)
|7.||Paper-V||General Studies -IV
(Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude)
Marks carried by General Studies papers are 4X 250=1000
|8.||Paper-VI||Optional Subject – Paper I||250 Marks|
|9.||Paper-VII||Optional Subject – Paper II
(Candidate is allowed to take up literature as an optional subject “without the condition of having it at the graduation level.)
|Sub Total (Written test)
(Marks of English and Language will not be counted in the total tally of marks for the written exam.)
|Grand Total||2025 Marks|
Note: all the candidate appearing in the exam should use only single language mentioned in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution
UPSC Civil Services Exam Admit Card 2018
Following are the details regarding the admit card for civil services exam;
- All the candidates whohaves filled their application form and has paid the application fees will be eligible to download and print their admit card
- Admit card can be availed only from the official website of UPSC once it gets released.
- Candidates should keep in mind that without admit card they will not be allowed to appear in the civil services examination.
- Apart from admit card candidates are also required to bring an additional id proof on the date of exam.
UPSC Civil Services Exam Result 2018:
The IAS Prelim 2018 results will be released on the official website of UPSC. Candidates can view and download their results by providing unique identification details as provided to them at the time of registration. The expected date of release of preliminary results is by the month of August whereas for the mains exam it is expected by the month of January/February. All the candidates who clear the mains exam will be called for personal interview. Candidates selected in personal interview will be selected for training session which will begin in the month of September. Candidates are required to bring all the necessary documents on the date of personal interview.